Position Title: Para-Educator-GSRP Pre-K
Location: Various Locations
Reports to: School Administrator or Designee
Bargaining Unit: Detroit Federation of Paraprofessionals
Benefits Eligible: Yes
In accordance with the agreement between the Detroit Federation of Para-Professionals and the Board of Education of the School District of the City of Detroit, the following vacancy is announced:
The Para-Educator provides in-classroom assistance to both students and the teacher to help facilitate the learning environment. Para-Educators play a key role with helping students accomplish daily tasks necessary to participate in their learning experience.
- Must possess and provide evidence of High School Diploma or GED certification; and 60 credit hours from an accredited institution; or passing scores on the Work keys basic skills or para pro assessment tests.
- Child Development Associate credential (CDA) or Associate Degree in Early Childhood/Preschool Education or Child Development; or at least (2) college credits in Child Development along with a plan of work to complete the course requirements to earn an Associate or a CDA within two years.
- Working with school age youth helpful.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with students, families and staff.
- Obtain 24 hours of Professional Development per school year including but not limited to: CPR/First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogen, Food Safety, Diversity and Licensing as appropriate
- Meet and greet children
- Set up equipment and assist in organizing materials for classroom instruction
- Assist with preparing monthly reports (i.e. volunteer services, meeting forms, etc.)
- Assist children with their coats/boots, arrival and during dismissal
- Assist/accompany teacher on home visits, field trips, and any other out of classroom learning opportunities
- Prepare classroom teaching materials and assist in classroom instruction - under the teacher's direction
- Encourage and participate in classroom educational activities, i.e. singing, dancing and other reasonable physical activities - under the teacher's direction;
- Assist with classroom upkeep and management
- Work with small groups of students or individuals, throughout daily schedule - under the teacher’s direction
- In the event of toileting accidents, assist child in cleaning up and changing into dry clothing
- Assist with, and participate in, family style meal service and clean up after food is served
- Record anecdotal notes on students daily and assist teacher with entering into Online COR (3 times per year);
- Record the daily meal count at the point of meal services; record temperature in refrigerator and freezer twice daily twice daily
- Assist in helping to maintain a safe, sanitary and clean environment, assist in keeping the room, appliances (refrigerator), serving utensils, cabinets, tables, etc., clean and orderly
- Attend all city-wide in-service activities and sessions related to your job description
- Assist at Parent Committee Meetings (i.e. supervise children during meetings, etc.)
- Accompany students outside 2 times daily
- Participate in children’s play inside and outside
- Assist with putting down and picking up cots for nap time
- Perform all other assignments as requested by the Teacher, Principal and Early Childhood Administration.
If you are a current Detroit Public Schools Community District employee, you do not have to submit to a new security clearance, unless your new role requires a different type of criminal background check.
In alignment with Michigan law, if you are hired to fill a position, you will be required to submit to a Detroit Public Schools Community District criminal background check. Information regarding required background checks will be shared at point of hire.
Method of Application:
Applicants must apply through the online application system. Only applications submitted through the online application system will be considered for any posted position and all applications require a resume to be considered.
All DPSCD employees are required to disclose their vaccine status, however COVID-19 vaccines are strongly encouraged but not required.
Successful candidates are required to submit official transcript(s) at point of offer to hire. It is the applicant's responsibility to provide all documentation (including copies) as requested.
Applicants requesting assistance during the application process should contact the Office of Human Resources via email at [email protected] or phone at (313) 873-6897.
DPSCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, religion, height, weight, citizenship, marital or family status, military status, ancestry, genetic information, or any other legally protected category, in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admissions opportunities. Contact the Civil Rights Coordinator for more information at (313) 240-4377 or detroitk12.org/compliance.