Date Posted: Jul 20, 2021
Position Title: Work Based Learning Coordinator
Location: Benjamin Carson High School of Science and Medicine
Salary Details: $51,071-$76,000
Reports to: Principal
Bargaining Unit: Detroit Federation of Teachers
Benefits Eligible: Yes
In accordance with the Agreement between Detroit Federation of Teachers (DFT) and the Board of Education of the School District of the City of Detroit, the following vacancy is announced.
The Teacher offers rigorous curriculum aligned with the State of Michigan Common Core guidelines while upholding the mission, vision and values of the Detroit Public Schools Community District. Collaborates with families and other staff members to ensure academic success of students. Evaluates and monitors students’ progress on a periodic basis.
1. Provide information to students and staff on career opportunities and requirements.
2. Work cooperatively with counselors to assist students in developing employability skills and career paths.
3. Develop visual materials to publicize the placement program.
4. Work cooperatively with job developers in developing and locating job openings for graduates and work experience students.
5. Develop new sites for training purposes. Organize and maintain a record system on students including skills, interest, and abilities.
6. Coordinate, plan and implement interviewing sessions for employers.
7. Coordinate job recruitment fairs and other programs for developing jobs.
8. Plan and arrange for pre-employment testing.
9. Coordinate the follow up and evaluation of the placement program.
10. Maintain an effective public relations program with business, industry, and the community.
11. Identify and refer students to placement opportunities consistent with their needs, skills, and interests.
12. Organize and maintain a job data bank.
13. Conduct job clinic for students and/or graduates who have difficulty in maintaining their employment.
14. Organize and maintain a record system inclusive of all pertinent data on employers’ necessary to make an adequate placement.
15. Collect and disseminate information on current labor market needs and/or trends.
16. Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
If you are a current Detroit Public Schools Community District employee, you do not have to submit to a new security clearance, unless your new role requires a different type of criminal background check.
In alignment with Michigan law, if you are hired to fill a position, you will be required to submit to a Detroit Public Schools Community District criminal background check. Information regarding required background checks will be shared at point of hire.
Method of Application:
Applicants must apply through the online application system. Only applications submitted through the online application system will be considered for any posted position and all applications require a resume to be considered.
Successful candidates are required to submit official transcript(s) at point of offer to hire. Teaching service outside of the Detroit Public Schools Community District must be verified by the applicant's prior employer(s) prior to hire. It is the applicant's responsibility to provide all documentation (including copies) as requested.
Applicants requesting assistance during the application process should contact the Office of Human Resources via email at [email protected] or phone at (313) 873-6897.
DPSCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, religion, height, weight, citizenship, marital or family status, military status, ancestry, genetic information, or any other legally protected category, in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admissions opportunities. Contact the Civil Rights Coordinator for more information at (313) 240-4377 or detroitk12.org/compliance.