Job Title: Program Associate II, Family and Community Engagement
Location: Office of Family and Community Engagement
Salary: $39,825 – $63,648
Reports to: Family and Community Engagement Program Supervisor
Bargaining Unit: OSAS
Benefits Eligible: Yes
In accordance with the agreement between the Organization of School Administrators (O.S.A.S.) and the Board of Education of the School District of the City of Detroit, Article 6.4, Promotion Procedure, the following vacancy is announced.
The Program Associate II for Family and Community Engagement is established to lead organizing and scaling of parent and family programs that support and engage families in the school and in the community. The position is responsible for a portfolio of schools and the growth of the district’s parent and stakeholder organizations. Finally, this central office role is designed to ensure Title I, MDE, and other program related initiatives are implemented with fidelity and transparency.
- Candidates must possess and provide evidence of a Bachelor’s from an accredited college or university or five (5) years of school and community organizing experience directly engaging stakeholders especially parents and students with Title I funded programs may be considered in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree.
- Candidates must possess a minimum of (3) years of experience in an administrative position in parent and family engagement. Candidates with course work or professional development in customer service, organizing, planning and development, school community relations and a commitment to fostering an environment for parents and their children to achieve their optimal potential preferred.
- Must have experience organizing and executing human service programs within the community and / or in large school districts; familiarity with adult learning theory, delivery of parent training and workshops.
- Experience working within the community across all cultures, track record of success launching new programs and working within a team.
- Knowledge of ESEA/ESSA as it relates to Title I Parent/Family/School Involvement.
- Experience with parent leadership, school communities and city wide parental and community involvement events, activities, conferences and developing training and workshops.
- Experience with working with all communities (such as Hmong, Arabic Hispanic and/or Bengali), in the implementation of parental professional development programs, customer service and parent/community organizing.
- Demonstrate an understanding of and the value of parent engagement in the education of children in Detroit Public Schools Community District.
- Must have strong communications and excellent interpersonal skills including a professional, parent/community-oriented demeanor, excellent knowledge of grammar and business correspondence.
- Support the establishment and growth of a parent organizations via the PTA.
- Based on parent organization data, increase parent involvement by 20%.
- Develop a strong working relationship with the Principal, parent leaders and other stakeholders within the school community.
- Assist in the development of School Advisory Council.
- Participate in ALL monthly parent organization and SAC meetings across assigned schools.
- Promote FACE initiatives as appropriate across school sites and secure target sites for participations I.e. PTHVP, Parent Academy, IT and Family Hubs, and other districtwide efforts.
- Manage the successful implementation of FACE programs within schools.
- Proactively identify and solve issues evolving across schools.
- Provide training, coaching, and support to Principals and parents across schools.
- Collect required information and documentation for timely submission.
- Provide a weekly update and comprehensive monthly report on the assigned school portfolio.
- Identify, recruit, train, and support Parent Action Leaders.
- Assist in required Title 1 Meetings, Parent Involvement Policy.
- Identify and recruit volunteers to engage across FACE.
- Attend multiple, community, school, and church meetings.
- Provide bi-weekly reports on program progress.
- Participate in regular community outreach and door to door canvassing to reengage and support District families.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor or designee.
If you are a current Detroit Public Schools Community District employee, you do not have to submit to a new security clearance, unless your new role requires a different type of criminal background check.
In alignment with Michigan law, if you are hired to fill a position, you will be required to submit a Detroit Public Schools Community District criminal background check. Information regarding required background checks will be shared at point of hire.
Method of Application:
Applicants must apply through the online application system. Only applications submitted through the online application system will be considered for any posted position and all applications require a resume to be considered.
Successful candidates are required to submit official transcript(s) at point of offer to hire. Teaching services outside of the Detroit Public Schools Community District must be verified by the applicant’s prior employer(s) prior to hire. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide all documentation (including copies) as requested.
Applicants requesting assistance during the application process should contact the Office of Human Resources via email at [email protected] or phone at (313) 873-6897.
DPSCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, religion, height, weight, citizenship, marital or family status, military status, ancestry, genetic information, or any other legally protected category, in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admissions. Questions? Concerns? contact the Civil Rights Coordinator at (313) 240-4377 or [email protected] or 3011 West Grand Boulevard, 14th Floor, Detroit MI 48202.