Position Title: Assistant Director of Montessori
Location: Office of Curriculum & Instruction, Department of Literacy
Salary Range: $70,000.00 - $95,000.00
Reports to: Executive Director of K-12 Literacy and Early Learning
Bargaining Unit: N/A
Benefits Eligible: Yes
According to the American Montessori Society, a Montessori education offers our children opportunities to develop their potential as they step out into the world as engaged, competent, responsible, and respectful citizens with an understanding and appreciation that learning is for life. The Assistant Director of the Detroit Public Montessori Program will lead the implementation and growth of Montessori programs within the district. DPSCD is seeking to hire individuals who are excited by the opportunity to improve education for the students of Detroit; ideal candidates will demonstrate understanding of and experience with the following:
- Each child is valued as a unique individual
- Beginning at an early age, Montessori students develop order, coordination, concentration, and independence
- Students are part of a close, caring community
- Montessori students enjoy freedom within limits
- Students are supported in becoming active seekers of knowledge
- Self-correction and self-assessment are an integral part of the Montessori classroom
- A valid Michigan Teaching or Admin K-12 certificate or a valid teaching certificate from another state with the intent to apply for and obtain a Michigan Teaching Certificate
- Master's degree preferred
- Montessori certification preferred
- Experience teaching Montessori education. Preferably in a public and/or urban setting
- Experience with principles of adult learning and how to apply them to professional development
- Experience providing curriculum and implementation support to teachers and leaders in Montessori instruction
- Experience leading district initiatives such as opening new schools, launching or expanding programs, developing guidance documents, and supporting school leaders and teachers
- Strong working knowledge of the common core state standards and how the align to Montessori Instruction
- Develop a strategic plan for the Montessori Program
- Create a strong culture that embodies the mission of DPSCD organization
- Build a strong, safe community with staff, parents, and children
- Support school leadership and teaching staff
- Ensure that the school and staff conform to federal, state, and local rules, regulations, and licensing requirements.
- Develop all program policies and practices within the guidelines of DPSCD
- Develop and oversee the program budget
- Procure classroom materials and equipment
- Develop the parent and student handbook
- Support the recruitment and enrollment of students within the guidelines of DPSCD
- Create new partnerships with the community
- Participate in regular calls/meetings with district leadership
- Resolve challenging student/parent concerns
- Oversee all daily school functions for students, parents and faculty as needed when concerning DPSCD Montessori
- Provide follow-up support and ongoing professionally embedded assistance to staff.
- Provide in-service activities specific to Montessori education for teachers, support staff, parents, and administrators.
- Manage a diverse body of work across multiple grade bands and subject areas
- Provide leadership to Montessori team members
- Work independently
- Exercise organizational skills, high attention to details, and superior time management
- Use digital tools fluently including Microsoft Office and SharePoint
- Manage, monitor, evaluate, and ensure integrity of program and core instructional materials implementation
- Practice a growth mindset, with commitment to ongoing learning and willingness to be flexible to meet evolving educator needs
- Perform other duties as assigned.
If you are a current Detroit Public Schools Community District employee, you do not have to submit to a new security clearance, unless your new role requires a different type of criminal background check.
In alignment with Michigan law, if you are hired to fill a position, you will be required to submit to a Detroit Public Schools Community District criminal background check. Information regarding required background checks will be shared at point of hire.
Method of Application:
Applicants must apply through the online application system. Only applications submitted through the online application system will be considered for any posted position and all applications require a resume to be considered.
Successful candidates are required to submit official transcript(s) at point of offer to hire. Teaching service outside of the Detroit Public Schools Community District must be verified by the applicant's prior employer(s) prior to hire. It is the applicant's responsibility to provide all documentation (including copies) as requested.
Applicants requesting assistance during the application process should contact the Office of Human Resources via email at [email protected] or phone at (313) 873-6897.
DPSCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, religion, height, weight, citizenship, marital or family status, military status, ancestry, genetic information, or any other legally protected category, in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admissions. Questions? Concerns? contact the Civil Rights Coordinator at (313) 240-4377 or [email protected] or 3011 West Grand Boulevard, 14th Floor, Detroit MI 48202.