Position Title: Network Engineer
Location: Fisher Building 3011 West Grand Blvd Detroit, MI 48202
Salary Range: $85,000 - $110,000
Reports to: Network Architect
Bargaining Unit: N/A
Benefits Eligible: Yes
As a critical member of the DPSCD’s Technology Infrastructure Department, the Network Engineer will be responsible for network design and implementation, upgrades, and advanced troubleshooting of enterprise routing and switching environments, virtual private networking (VPN), firewalls, Voice Over IP, wireless networking, network access and policy controls, and systems monitoring. This includes assessing, developing, and implementing technical plans and strategies to ensure optimal health and security of the district network, as well as identifying opportunities for improvement, expansion and innovation. In addition, the Network Engineer will have responsibility for network security architecture which will be key to our network and data security.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology is preferred.
- CCNA minimal requirement; CCNP Certification is desired.
- 5+ years of Experience with Switching (Capacity Planning & VLAN’s), Routing (OSPF, EIGRP, BGP), WAN Technologies (MPLS, VPLS, VPN) and Security (Fortinet/Cisco Firewalls, IPS).
- Experience with Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI) is a plus.
- Operational experience with industry standard security protocols and procedures is necessary.
- Excellent knowledge of TCP/IP, including packet-level traffic analysis.
- Experience with VoIP, QoS, and IP Telephony technologies.
- Experience with Cisco Wireless Deployments, Cisco ISE, Cisco Data Center Switching, Security methodology, Load Balancing, VMware, and network monitoring tools.
- Experience with network diagnostic, monitoring and analysis tools (e.g. Cisco Prime Infrastructure, SolarWinds, SNMP network tools).
- Experience in the development of network performance metrics.
- Ability to provide on-call support twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
- Must have own transportation for travel to various District locations.
- Ability to lift and carry at least 25lbs without assistance.
- Assist with secure network design, including establishing and implementing system standards, and maintaining accurate technical document for WAN, LAN, Wi-Fi, Internet, Firewalls, Servers, Video and VoIP solutions.
- Optimize network performance; troubleshoot and report network problems and outages, and schedule upgrades.
- Provide 3rd level support for WAN, LAN, Wi-Fi, Internet, Servers, Video and VoIP solutions, including responding to help desk ticket and reported incidents.
- Conduct network assessment, security audits and after-hours maintenance and installation to keep all systems functioning at optimal performance levels.
- Assist with technology planning and annual budget activities to ensure optimal health of enterprise investments, including participation in RFP process, vendor relationship management and assessment of acquired solutions.
- Serve as technical expert for implementation projects, including timely coordination of project management tasks such as selection, recommendation, design, testing, and implementation of various solutions.
- Provide support and ongoing reinforcement of change management philosophies related to changes and advances in innovative business systems.
- Identify and document key policies, procedures, and governance for enterprise systems operations, including knowledge articles as needed.
- Mentor and grow less experienced engineers, as well as prospective talent in more junior roles, throughout the organization as well as students in career pathways for information technology.
- Support internal run and maintain activities, including remote monitoring and management system, respond to alerts, monitor health, and seek improvement opportunities.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
If you are a current Detroit Public Schools Community District employee, you do not have to submit to a new security clearance, unless your new role requires a different type of criminal background check.
In alignment with Michigan law, if you are hired to fill a position, you will be required to submit to a Detroit Public Schools Community District criminal background check. Information regarding required background checks will be shared at point of hire.
Method of Application:
Applicants must apply through the online application system. Only applications submitted through the online application system will be considered for any posted position and all applications require a resume to be considered.
Successful candidates are required to submit official transcript(s) at point of offer to hire. Teaching service outside of the Detroit Public Schools Community District must be verified by the applicant's prior employer(s) prior to hire. It is the applicant's responsibility to provide all documentation (including copies) as requested.
Applicants requesting assistance during the application process should contact the Office of Human Resources via email at [email protected] or phone at (313) 873-6897.
DPSCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, transgender identity, disability, age, religion, height, weight, citizenship, marital or family status, military status, ancestry, genetic information, or any other legally protected category, in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admissions opportunities. Contact the Civil Rights Coordinator for more information at (313) 240-4377 or detroitk12.org/compliance.