Position Title: Program Associate I: Athletics
Location: Office of Athletics, Central Office, 3011 W. Grand Blvd 9th Floor, Detroit, MI
Salary: $57,006 - $73,865
Reports to: Executive Director of Athletics
Bargaining Unit: OSAS
Benefits Eligible: Yes
In accordance with the agreement between the Organization of School Administrators (O.S.A.S.) and the Board of Education of the School District of the City of Detroit, Article 6.4, Promotion Procedure, the following vacancy is announced.
The position shall have responsibility for assisting the Executive Director and Program Supervisor in the over-all management of the Detroit Public School Community District Interscholastic Athletic Programs K-12.
- Candidates must possess and provide evidence of a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Five (3-5) years of administrative experience directly related to athletics.
- Prepare interim and annual budgets for K-12 sports program, utilizing the guidelines set forth by the districts' budget department.
- Coordinate of overall financial budget, customer, process and continuous improvement work streams necessary to implement seasonal sporting activities. This includes a variety of duties associated with providing administrative assistance in support of DPSCD Athletic Department goals, proactive oversight and performance management, constituent coordination and the community interactions necessary to ensure high quality customer experiences and engagements.
- Plan, organize, and implement sports program by overseeing a variety of sport clinics, intramural and league activities. Work responsibilities also include the ordering of District athletic equipment, supplies, the collection and disposition of registration documents with their associated fees.
- Must work collaboratively and independently to oversee sport activities at designated locations such as school facilities, parks, baseball/softball fields and other facilities. Special events, including weekends, holidays and evenings are included.
- Lead efforts to recruit, on-board, direct and supervise suppliers. Must evaluate suppliers, seasonal staff, instructors, volunteers and participant performance.
- Evolve program requirements and plans well in advance for budgetary recommendations; prepares reports describing and evaluating programs at completion of activity and identifies methods and areas to improve.
- Monitors the day-to-day operations of athletic programs including making site visits, handling and resolving complaints and ensuring that programs have required materials and supplies, and formulates and organizes program plans and schedules for seasonal and/or year-round activities.
- Enforce DPSCD policies, procedures and rules for staff, instructors, volunteers and contracted facility renters as well as enforcement of safety and operating procedures and maintenance needs including compliance with health and safety codes and building codes.
- Schedule and supervise holiday sport events, playoffs and other sport tournaments. Schedule and supervise athletic sport playoffs and championships
- This position is responsible for adhering to the athletic policy approved by the Detroit Public Schools Community District Board of Education and the Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA)
- Coordinate the transfer of athletic equipment
- Assist with establishing fund rising organizations and coordinating fundraising projects. Develop and maintain relationship with organizations for donations
- Assist the Office of Athletics as needed, under the direction of the Executive Director of Athletics
- Evaluate the yearly performance and progress of the K-12 sports programs as assigned, ability to function as a high-standard feeder system for the high schools’ academic and sports program
- All other duties as assigned.
If you are a current Detroit Public Schools Community District employee, you do not have to submit to a new security clearance, unless your new role requires a different type of criminal background check.
In alignment with Michigan law, if you are hired to fill a position, you will be required to submit to a Detroit Public Schools Community District criminal background check. Information regarding required background checks will be shared at point of hire.
Method of Application:
Applicants must apply through the online application system. Only applications submitted through the online application system will be considered for any posted position and all applications require a resume to be considered.
Successful candidates are required to submit official transcript(s) at point of offer to hire. Teaching service outside of the Detroit Public Schools Community District must be verified by the applicant's prior employer(s) prior to hire. It is the applicant's responsibility to provide all documentation (including copies) as requested.
Applicants requesting assistance during the application process should contact the Office of Human Resources via email at [email protected] or phone at (313) 873-6897.
DPSCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, transgender identity, disability, age, religion, height, weight, citizenship, marital or family status, military status, ancestry, genetic information, or any other legally protected category, in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admissions opportunities. Contact the Civil Rights Coordinator for more information at (313) 240-4377 or detroitk12.org/compliance.