Date Posted: Jul 13, 2020
Position Title: Assistant JROTC Instructor
Location: Various School Locations
Salary Range: (MIP) Minimum Instructor Pay
Reports to: Director of Military Science
Bargaining Unit: DFT
Benefit Eligible: Yes
In accordance with the Agreement between the Detroit Federation of Teachers (DFT) and the Board of Education of the School District of the City of Detroit, the following vacancy is announced.
The Assistant JROTC Instructor assists the Senior JROTC Instructor with JROTC curriculum while upholding the mission, vision and values of the Detroit Public Schools Community District. Collaborates with families and other staff members to ensure academic success of students. Evaluates and monitors students’ progress on a periodic basis.
1. Instructs Cadets in the JROTC curriculum during the school year.
2. Conduct training at JROTC and summer camps.
4. Creates a classroom environment conducive to learning and the personal growth of students.
5. Evaluates student progress and counsels cadets on their performance within the JROTC program.
6. Motivates and encourages student to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a foundation for becoming a responsible citizen.
7. Monitors student movement to ensure a safe and orderly environment.
8. Organizes, supervises and participates in extracurricular activities for JROTC cadets to include color guard, drill teams and other special activities.
9. Maintains JROTC student records as required by the Department of Army regulations and local policies
10.Complies with Army and school district safety guidelines when instructing, supervising.
11. Maintains supply accountability in strict compliance with Army Regulations.
12. Employs a variety of instructional techniques and media.
13. Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
If you are a current Detroit Public Schools Community District employee, you do not have to submit to a new security clearance, unless your new role requires a different type of criminal background check.
In alignment with Michigan law, if you are hired to fill a position, you will be required to submit to a Detroit Public Schools Community District criminal background check. Information regarding required background checks will be shared at point of hire.
Method of Application:
Applicants must apply through the online application system. Only applications submitted through the online application system will be considered for any posted position and all applications require a resume to be considered.
Successful candidates are required to submit official transcript(s) at point of offer to hire. Teaching service outside of the Detroit Public Schools Community District must be verified by the applicant's prior employer(s) prior to hire. It is the applicant's responsibility to provide all documentation (including copies) as requested.
Applicants requesting assistance during the application process should contact the Office of Human Resources via email at [email protected] or phone at (313) 873-6897.
DPSCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, transgender identity, disability, age, religion, height, weight, citizenship, marital or family status, military status, ancestry, genetic information, or any other legally protected category, in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admissions opportunities. Contact the Civil Rights Coordinator for more information at (313) 240-4377 or detroitk12.org/compliance.