Date Posted: Jun 2, 2020
Posting Date: May 22, 2020
Closing Date: Until Filled
Salary Details: 57,006 – 73,865
Job Type: Administrative
Benefits Eligibility: Successful candidates will be eligible for competitive medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage, as well as generous illness and/or vacation days.
Reports to: Senior Director, Student Information Services
Location: Fisher Building
The Data, Assessment, and Accountability (DAA) division ensures that the District maintains accurate, high quality and timely data analysis about how our students, staff, schools, and the District are performing.¿ The DAA achieves this by effectively administering assessments; supporting the production and management of student data; building and maintaining the District’s data infrastructure/integration and ensuring District-level staff and leaders can access data on the most important student outcomes; and by conducting analysis and research to support the District’s measures of teacher and leader effectiveness.
The Student Information Services (SIS) department develops and implements the tools and procedures necessary to manage the District’s Student Information System, PowerSchool, and addresses the District’s SIS training, reporting, and strategic needs. The SIS department also collaborates with other departments to identify and capitalize on high-impact opportunities to support each other’s work, build out aligned processes and resources, and establish an organizational culture that fosters strategic, creative applications of data.
As a significant member of the DAA division and SIS department, the Application Specialist ensures that the District maintains applications that are appropriately configured and connected to the Student Information System. The Application Specialist will address application needs and develop systems that prevent repeat obstacles, manage automated data-sharing processes, and support the SIS needs of our staff and families. The Application Specialist will have an opportunity to develop deep connections with staff to meet challenging goals and implement organizational data strategies around data-driven decision making through analyses and capacity building at schools. The Application Specialist will lead support in and will focus on the following three areas:
· Application Management: Configuring, connecting, and managing various applications within and connecting into the SIS, responding to and resolving support tickets and working with schools to design and implement applications
· Student Data Management and Connectivity: Ensuring that applications are accessible, that SIS data is correctly feeding into the appropriate applications, fields, and reports, and
· Data Strategy and People Development: Supporting school-based SIS and specialists and developing cohort support systems to keep them trained and well informed.
Must possess and provide evidence of a Bachelor’s, with preferred focus in computer science, business administration, or closely related field.
We are looking for talented people who are passionate about transforming the District and making a significant difference in the lives of students, parents, principals, teachers, and central office employees. The ideal candidate will have:
· Experience managing applications and platforms that integrate with or send data to a large data base
· Experience leading change management processes that involve supporting and influencing the practices of school staff
· Ability to balance multiple projects within a data driven accountability environment
· Ability to explain technical processes to large audiences and small groups, verbally and in writing
· Ability to collect, evaluate, and analyze data from a variety of sources and use this knowledge to make recommendations
· Demonstrated knowledge of or prior experience implementing PowerSchool/ Pro and Special Education and/or other SISs
· Experience in pupil accounting-principles, practices, and methods
· Working knowledge of District and school-level business processes and student functionality related to SIS systems
· Understanding of the requirements and timelines for student data submissions to the Michigan Department of Education (MDE), Center for Educational Performance and Information (CEPI), and the U.S. Department of Education
· Expertise and experience working in an urban district is a plus
Position Job Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the System Administrator, the Application Specialist will:
1. Configure and maintain various application connections and data flows with the SIS to enable automated processes that reduce operational overhead on school staff.
2. Support with custom report and query requests to improve decision-making throughout the organization.
3. Coordinating master and student scheduling procedures for schools, to drive toward accurate sections data for applications.
4. Deliver excellent customer service by resolving tier 2 application-related tickets from stakeholders.
5. Ensure high quality data practices are implemented and followed by all staff who interact with the Student Information System and affiliated applications
6. Support the timely and accurate reporting of state and federal data per published requirements and guidelines
7. Promote the innovative use of the student information system as a means of improving organizational effectiveness and efficiency
8. Support the development, delivery and maintenance of professional development, reference materials, support resources, and help desk services to ensure the effective use of the student information system by a wide range of stakeholders
9. Develop and curate strong knowledge management systems to help improve district communication and accelerate continuous improvement
10. Value, solicit, and integrate team members’ different perspectives effectively
11. Build effective relationships with manager, staff members and colleagues to implement District strategic plan
12. Perform other duties as assigned by the System Administrator or Senior Director of Student Information Services.
If you are a current Detroit public schools employee, presently employed with the district, you do not have to submit a fee related to obtaining the Detroit public schools security clearance, unless your new role requires a different type of security clearance.
If you are hired to fill a vacant position, you will be required to submit a Detroit public schools security clearance. At point of offer to hire, you will be responsible for a non-refundable payment of $64.50 via Visa, Master Card, American Express, Discover Card, cashier's check, or money order, payable to the DPSCD Police Department. No personal checks or cash is accepted.
Method of Application:
Applicants must apply through the online application system. Only applications submitted through the online application system will be considered for any posted position and all applications require a resume to be considered.
Successful candidates are required to submit official transcript(s) at point of offer to hire. Teaching service outside of the Detroit Public Schools Community District must be verified by the applicant's prior employer(s) prior to hire. It is the applicant's responsibility to provide all documentation (including copies) as requested.
Applicants requesting assistance during the application process should contact the Office of Human Resources via email at [email protected] or phone at (313) 873-6897.
DPSCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, height, weight, citizenship, marital or family status, military status, ancestry, genetic information, or any other legally protected category, in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admissions Concerns? Contact the Civil Rights Coordinator at (313) 240-4377 or detroitk12.org/compliance.