Job Title: 2020-2021: Osborn High School Varsity Softball Coach
Posting Date: June 15, 2020
Closing Date: Until Filled
Salary Range: $2,970
Job Type: Non-Instructional/Non-Administrative
Location: Osborn High School
Benefits Eligibility: Not benefit eligible
Reports to: Building Principal/Administrator Designee, under the direct authority of the Deputy Executive Director of Athletics
This position is responsible for adhering to the athletic policy approved by the Detroit Public Schools Community District and the Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA)
Proof of a minimum of an Associate’s Degree or equivalent (evidence of 60 hours current credits) and evidence of a certified plan of towards a Bachelor’s Degree must be present at time of application. Applications received without proof/credentials will be considered incomplete and rejected. All coaches, current and new must meet these requirements or will be released at the end of the most current season
Applicants must provide evidence of experience in high school and/or college sports, preferably softball.
- Must have at least five (5) years of previous coaching in the area of applicable position.
- Must have knowledge of athletic procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with scholar-athletes, parents, staff, athletic coordinator, administrators and athletics office.
- Demonstrated verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills required.
- Must possess a positive attitude, enthusiasm/knowledge for leading, teaching, mentoring, and preparing high school scholar-athletes for next level successes.
- Must show evidence/certification of completing/attending the following and other professional development courses, workshops and clinics to expand knowledge in all aspects of coaching:
- MHSAA CAP 1-2 (mandatory)
- MHSAA Online Rules Meeting (mandatory)
- AED and Heart Saver CPR Certification (mandatory)
- Maintains and emphasizes discipline and demands disciplined behavior from everyone involved in the program.
- Must provide and organize adequate supervision before, during and after practices/games all scholar-athletes.
- Must provide an adequate schedule of time for scholar-athletes to have academic study table.
- Must have knowledge of and enforce all DPSL and MHSAA rules and regulations compliance at all times.
Duties/Responsibilities and Functions:
- Regularly monitor scholar-athletes’ academic eligibility performance, attendance, behavior, training and development of their individual athletic ability.
- Coordinate the use, upkeep, care and submit an annual inventory listing of all district equipment and facilities.
- Maintain and report the season’s scores, records and statistics (before the season, during the season of games and throughout the seasons’ end).
- Coaches will report directly to the building Athletic Coordinator (via the Office of Athletics) in which they will assist with ensuring there is a positive, coaching/mentoring environment, stressing the importance of academic achievement.
- Provide an atmosphere conducive to good sportsmanship and stewardship.
- Shall duly serve as a positive role model/mentor for scholar-athletes.
- Collaborate with and meet with parents of scholar-athletes to keep them duly informed of the program schedule and activities.
- Perform other additional duties as assigned.
If you are hired to fill a vacant position, you will be required to submit a Detroit Public Schools security clearance.
At point of offer to hire, please be advised that you will be responsible for a non-refundable payment of $64.50 via Visa, Master Card, American Express, Discover Card, cashier's check, or money order, payable to the DPSCD Police Department. No personal checks or cash is accepted. DO NOT SUBMIT PAYMENT WITH APPLICATION.
If you are a current Detroit Public Schools employee, presently employed with the district, you do not have to submit a fee related to obtaining the Detroit Public Schools security clearance. If you are internal, you also DO NOT have to provide anything other than a resume. You DO NOT need transcripts, certifications, etc
Method of Application
- Applicants MUST apply through the online application system. ONLY applications submitted through the online application system will be considered for any posted position.
- All applicants are to attach:
- Copy of transcripts
- Most recent resume and cover letter
- Copy of your valid teacher certification must be attached (certification must be at the grade level on you are applying for).
- Applicants will receive an automated confirmation once they have successfully applied for a position.
- Successful candidates are required to submit official transcript(s) at point of offer to hire.
- Service outside of the Detroit Public Schools must be verified by the applicant's employer(s) prior to hire.
- It is the applicant's responsibility to provide all documentation (including copies) as requested.
- Due to the high volume of candidates applying for positions, we regret that we are unable to pull individual personnel files to retrieve/copy documents. Therefore, to assure the application process is not delayed, if you are applying for multiple positions with the district, we strongly encourage you to have available several photocopies of your credentials to be submitted for each position for which you apply.
- Documentation will not be accepted subsequent to the closing date of the announcement.
- Incomplete information will not be considered.
- Applicants requesting assistance during the application process should contact the Division of Talent at (313) 873-6897.
DPSCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, transgender identity, disability, age, religion, height, weight, citizenship, marital or family status, military status, ancestry, genetic information, or any other legally protected category, in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admissions opportunities. Contact the Civil Rights Coordinator for more information at (313) 240-4377 or detroitk12.org/compliance.