Job Title: Public Safety Officer (Regular, Full-Time)
Posting Date: February 7, 2020
Closing Date: Until Filled
Salary Details: $17.42 - $22.69/hr
Benefits Eligibility: Successful candidates will be eligible for medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage, as well as illness and/or vacation days.
Reports to: Chief of Police or desginee
Job Type: Non-Instructional
Location: DPSCD Police Department
- Must possess and provide evidence of a High School Diploma or GED certificate at time of application.
- Must be currently certified or certifiable as a police officer by the Michigan Coalition on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) and be able to provide evidence of certification.
- Must be able to verify whether U.S. citizen, resident alien, or otherwise authorized to accept employment in the U.S.
- Must be physically able to perform the duties and responsibilities outlined with or without accommodation and pass a medical examination and drug screening. Position requires physical activities, duties and responsibilities including but not limited to lifting a minimum of 50 pounds, running, jumping, chasing/ apprehending suspects as necessary. Must be able to physically subdue, chase and/or apprehend persons committing crimes against pupils, personnel and properties.
- Must be 21 years of age and have access to an operating automobile; and able to work all three (3) shifts (day, afternoon or night), seven days per week.
- Must possess and provide evidence of a valid Michigan driver’s license and present current print out of driving record from the Secretary of State’s office having no more than two (2) points deducted.
- Assist with executive protection responsibilities for assigned school administrators.
- Protect pupils, staff and school property by mobile patrols and on foot;
- Remove and/or refuse admittance of unauthorized persons from district properties;
- Detain or arrest suspects committing or attempting to commit crimes against school facilities or offenses to pupils, school personnel or other persons;
- Make immediate on-site investigations of crimes or offenses while collecting evidence; securing witnesses and testifying in court;
- Perform duties as assigned twenty-four (24) hours per day, seven (7) days per week;
- Physically subdue, chase including but not limited to running, climbing, and lifting a minimum of 50 pounds to apprehend persons committing crimes against any persons, including pupils, personnel and properties;
- Contact and cooperate with other law enforcement agencies in preventing controlling and investigating anti-social or illegal activities by persons or groups directed against school facilities, pupils or personnel;
- Assist in the orientation of school administrators and pupils concerning security measures;
- Maintain the Code of Conduct and dress as required by the Police Department;
- Must be able to use firearms according to required Department standards;
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned, by the Chief of Police or Designee.
Internal Applicants: If you are a current Detroit Public Schools employee, presently employed with the district, you do not have to submit a fee related to obtaining the Detroit Public Schools security clearance.
External Applicants: If you are hired to fill a vacant position, you will be required to submit a Detroit Public Schools security clearance.
At point of offer to hire, please be advised that you will be responsible for a non-refundable payment of $64.50 via Visa, Master Card, American Express, Discover Card, cashier's check, or money order, payable to the DPSCD Police Department. No personal checks or cash is accepted.
Method of Application
Applicants must apply through the online application system. Only applications submitted through the online application system will be considered for any posted position. All applicants are to attach a copy of their transcripts, most recent resume and cover letter. A copy of your valid teacher certification must be attached if certification is required for the position you are applying.
Successful candidates are required to submit official transcript(s) at point of offer to hire. Teaching service outside of the Detroit Public Schools Community District must be verified by the applicant's employer(s) prior to hire.
It is the applicant's responsibility to provide all documentation (including copies) as requested. All documentation must be submitted along with the letter of interest. Documentation will not be accepted subsequent to the closing date of the announcement. Incomplete information will not be considered. Applicants requesting assistance during the application process should contact the Division of Human Resources via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or office at (313) 873-6897.
The Board of Education of the School District of the City of Detroit does not discriminate against, deny benefits to or exclude participation by any person in its programs, activities or employment on the basis of age, race, sex, color, national origin, creed, religion or handicap.