Date Posted: May 12, 2020
Job Title: 2020-2021: Randolph Career & Technical, Day Trade Teacher-Carpentry
Posting Date: May 8, 2020
Closing Date: Until Filled
In accordance with the Agreement between Detroit Federation of Teachers and the Board of Education of the School District of the City of Detroit, the following vacancy is announced.
Benefits Eligibility: Successful candidates will be eligible for medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage as well as illness days.
Salary: DFT Salary Schedule
Reports to: Principal (or Designee)
Location: Randolph Career & Technical
Required: Bachelor’s degree and valid Michigan Interim Occupation Education, Occupation Education Certificate, or Full Vocational Authorization appropriate for the vocational content of the teaching assignment. Appropriate FAA Licenses or certifications also required.
Additional salary credit for a Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
In the event that there is no successful candidate available who holds a valid Michigan (Interim) Occupation Education Certificate, candidates with at least a High School diploma and relevant industry work experience will be considered: 8,000 total hours of documented experience, 4000 hours of which must be in the prior six years.
Regular Attendance is critical; must have an exemplary attendance record.
Must be able to verify whether U.S. citizen, resident alien, or otherwise authorized to accept employment in the U.S.
Must be physically able to perform the duties and responsibilities outlined with or without accommodations.
* Creation/implementation of Carpentry curriculum and Lesson plan preparation
* Complete, proper and accurate recording of Carpentry student paperwork
* Comply with DPSCD/State mandates for high school students
* Carpentry License (Inspection Authorization preferable)
* Minimum 2 years’ experience as a Carpentry instructor (preferred)
1. Develop curricula, instruct students in a classroom setting in ground-school classes on the basics of carpentry
2. Develop instructional modules to include a broad range of topics such as operation procedures, carpentry systems.
4. Determine student proficiency, report on student progress and develop new teaching methods that help prepare for the written test they can expect to face when applying for their carpentry license.
5. Provide practical training relevant to areas covered during theory lessons;
6. Design and utilize training manuals, equipment, course materials and other supporting materials to provide instruction as per applicable policies and procedures.
7. Organize and conduct cockpit familiarization classes and prepare reports on students proficiency based on established parameters.
8. Maintain student progress report and provide special coaching and counseling for students.
9. Develop innovative techniques, training aids and method to improve training efficiency.
10. Provide expertise knowledge to instructional system designers and develop class room materials, carpentry lessons, instructor and student guides and other training materials.
11. Will perform other job duties as assigned by Principal.
If you are a current Detroit Public Schools employee, presently employed with the district, you do not have to submit a fee related to obtaining the Detroit Public Schools security clearance.
If you are hired to fill a vacant position, you will be required to submit a Detroit Public Schools security clearance.
At point of offer to hire, please be advised that you will be responsible for a non-refundable payment of $64.50 via Visa, Master Card, American Express, Discover Card, cashier's check, or money order, payable to the DPSCD Police Department. No personal checks or cash is accepted. DO NOT SUBMIT PAYMENT WITH APPLICATION.
Method of Application
Applicants MUST apply through the online application system. ONLY applications submitted through the online application system will be considered for any posted position. All applicants are to attach a copy of their transcripts, most recent resume and cover letter. A copy of your valid teacher certification must be attached if certification is required for the position you are applying.
Applicants will receive an automated confirmation once they have successfully applied for a position.
Successful candidates are required to submit official transcript(s) at point of offer to hire. Teaching service outside of the Detroit Public Schools Community District must be verified by the applicant's employer(s) prior to hire.
It is the applicant's responsibility to provide all documentation (including copies) as requested. All documentation must be submitted along with the letter of interest. Documentation will not be accepted subsequent to the closing date of the announcement. Incomplete information will not be considered. Applicants requesting assistance during the application process should contact the Division of Human Resources at (313) 873-6897.
DPSCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, transgender identity, disability, age, religion, height, weight, citizenship, marital or family status, military status, ancestry, genetic information, or any other legally protected category, in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admissions opportunities. Contact the Civil Rights Coordinator for more information at (313) 240-4377 or detroitk12.org/compliance.