Date Posted: Mar 15, 2023
Position Title: Day Trade Teacher, Horticulture (Agriculture Science)
Location: Randolph Career and Technical Center
Salary: DFT Salary Schedule
Reports to: Principal
Bargaining Unit: Detroit Federation of Teachers (DFT)
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Telecommuting Eligibility: Not eligible for telecommuting
In accordance with the Agreement between Detroit Federation of Teachers (DFT) and the Board of Education of the School District of the City of Detroit, the following vacancy is announced.
Position Summary: The Day Trade Teacher for CTE state approved 01.0601 - Applied Horticulture and Horticulture Operations program. This career and technical education (CTE) program focus on the growing, managing, and processing of plants, shrubs, flowers, trees, and related plant materials for food or decorative usage. The program covers basic scientific principles, technical and business operations connected with horticulture services. The instructor will also uphold the mission, vision and values of the Detroit Public Schools Community District; collaborates with families and other staff members, evaluates and monitors students’ progress on a periodic basis to ensure academic success of students.
1. Comply with DPSCD/State mandates for high school students develop curricula, instruct students in a classroom setting and in the field on the basics of the technical content.
2. Develop instructional hands-on projects to include a broad range of topics such as operation procedures, technical skills, entry-level certifications, community development, and entrepreneurship skillsets.
3. Determine student proficiency, report on student progress, and develop new teaching methods that help prepare students for program completion and post-secondary credentials.
4. Design and utilize training manuals, equipment, course materials and other supporting materials to provide instruction as per applicable policies and procedures.
5. Organize and conduct student work-based learning and student leadership opportunities.
6. Continue to develop and maintain a program industry advisory board.
7. Collaborate with community partners to grow the program and recruit students
8. Assist with developing and executing marketing strategies that promote the CTE program.
9. Performs other duties as assigned by the school administrator.
If you are a current Detroit Public Schools Community District employee, you do not have to submit to a new security clearance, unless your new role requires a different type of criminal background check.
In alignment with Michigan law, if you are hired to fill a position, you will be required to submit to a Detroit Public Schools Community District criminal
background check. Information regarding required background checks will be shared at point of hire.
Method of Application:
Applicants must apply through the online application system. Only applications submitted through the online application system will be considered for any posted position and all applications require a resume to be considered.
All DPSCD employees are required to disclose their vaccine status, however COVID-19 vaccines are strongly encouraged but not required.
Successful candidates are required to submit official transcript(s) at point of offer to hire. Teaching service outside of the Detroit Public Schools Community District must be verified by the applicant's prior employer(s) prior to hire. It is the applicant's responsibility to provide all documentation (including copies) as requested.
Applicants requesting assistance during the application process should contact the Office of Human Resources via email at [email protected] or phone at (313) 873-6897.
DPSCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, religion, height, weight, citizenship, marital or family status, military status, ancestry, genetic information, or any other legally protected category, in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admissions opportunities. Contact the Civil Rights Coordinator for more information at (313) 240-4377 or detroitk12.org/compliance.